Re: Reading drum notation

Unfortunately it's not that easy, especially since well,  drums can be written in various ways.  As opposed to the actual notes involved, they use an x as opposed to the actual  oval shape to resemble a cymbal or cross stick, it's variable depends on the song, where it's at, and of course there's no set "note name" for each drum  position.    However, if the song is on a 4 piece kit with  just two toms, kick, and snare, the notes are on the spaces of the staph,, if there's more, the notes could be on the lines of the staph or the tom could be on a line  above or below the snare drum, it does get confusing at times.

A workaround is, if you can find a basic drum lesson or two in midi form, open them in something like reaper, and look at the  midi notes of the file.  Generally, they are stationary and can make it much easier to follow, especially since with OSara, it announces what bar, and beat. and percent of beat.

Most commonly with midi:
C2 is Kick
D2 is snare
C-Sharp 3 is a crash,
F-Sharp 2 is a hi-hat,
D3, C3, B2, A2, G2, and F2 are toms. high to low.
A ride is generally around the D-Sharp 3 area, but I could be wrong.

I know Reaper does notation, but not sure if they import it.

Sorry if this is over your head.