Basically, keep a well balanced team (within 5 levels.) I haven't beaten the game yet, but I don't think I'm terribly far. I'm up to the bay after Snowstar (I'm guessing that's a reference to Snowbelle city from Pokemon X/Y.)
My highest is level 54 and my lowest is 52, so I might have gone a little overkill. There were certain spots I ground just so I wouldn't fall into the trap later on of "oh shit, you're too under leveled." I might post a separate topic with my thoughts on the game after I've beaten it. Admittedly at first I was kind of skeptical just because of how much it borrows from Pokemon, but the more I play, the more I can see what Aaron was trying to do. Between keeping teams balanced and having a variety of type coverage, you should be good. Don't be afraid to play around and see what works for you. Jayde's guide is pretty good in that regard, though it's honestly not something I've followed a ton of just because I like playing around and finding out these things for myself.