Re: an accessible method to earn a little extra income

#Accomadating disabled people is not a magic cure all though. It costs a lot of money and time and did you ever thing the rest of the workforce may well resent the time and money and changes to the workplace though? That happens. Plus the time and money it costs aren't  recouped instantly, ESPECIALLY not the time aspect. Yes you may well earn back the $10,00 or whatever it is, but as far as the time goes, shutting down a factory for a week, or a store for a week, or whatever the empolyer owns, that has a far bigger impact on the business than money. That is lost sales and lost income all the while, debt is mounting up. I'm speaking from my family being involved in business practically all their lives,it isn't just a simple oh make X accessible and we'll be a bettr business....

Life don't work like that, it's again a double edged sword. That guy in a warehouse I mentioned earlier? Yeah his dad has lost customers that turned over half a million a year because they don't want to deal with his son interacting with them. Through no fault of his own that guy is seen as a liability to suppliers and customers...even if they don't directly interact with him,just the idea of it scares off certain supppliers/customers, and in an industry dominated by the big companies, you neeed all the customers and suppliers you can get...so what did his dad do? Went around to the customers and suppliers BSing he let his son go and the supppliers and customers came flooding back to him. That's one company, ine one specific industry. But it shows that at least in the flooring industry, disabled people aren't thought of that highly, which, I get it. You may scream and scream and whine and bitch and moan it's not fair, and realistically, it isn't...but these are firms that are constantly out there every single day. I got talking to one of my dad's customers the other week when he dropped by to talk to my dad who was out. I made a joke about needing a new carpet for my room, and asked if it could be done in bright colors so I could see it better. He asked if I was joking, I said I was and asked why disabled people are treated like shit.

His response was, quote.and yes, I've left out the companies. I happen to respect what the companies do and want them to carry on making flooring so my family can stay in business....

Jace, a it's like this. The guys on the and <bigger multi national firms> don't want to shut their factories down in Belgium and Holland and train the workers in five different languages and take five or six weeks to get through that, It'll kill their margins, it'll screw up <UK company> too as they buy from them. My reps deal with <Belgian firm> and they'd have to be trained in English, Flemish, Wallonie, Dutch, German and Romanian so that's easily several million Euros or their workers and multiplay that by several factories. Okay they could take the hit but they'd have to raise the prices on the rolls and raise the cuts too and that'd hurt the buyers. It's economics, they want to do business as cheap as possi/i]

That shed light on it, I get where he's coming from, if you're a business you want to spend as little cash to make as much as possible. I asked my dad about this and paraphrased what the other guy said and my dad essntially said it costs too much and there's no way in hell for his company the managers would ever actually agree to redo the office or warehouse given they are leasing the land from the city and haven't ourgith bought it. More money down the drain for planning stuff and hiring workers and shutting the office for X weeks while it's going on and pissing off the managemnt, who to be fair are not the nicest bunch of guys in the world. Actually, as a rule the flooring industry is very very cut t throat and bitchy and not for the faint of heart. Ever heard your dad go on a 45 minute explitive rant at a supplier and dropping a ton of interesting words? I have, and I get why, I get that particular supplier tried to fuck over a number of firms and then refused to own up and pay for damaging equipment, then tried to lie their way out of it.

tl: DR: Accomdating disabled people may not always be in a company's best interests. Continent like the <big companies>