Re: an accessible method to earn a little extra income

@79, as a matter of fact, if I did run a business, I'd happily set up appropriate accommodations for a blind person, without ever having to take the systems offline, because I'd most likely use accessible software in the first place. The time spent performing accommodation acquisition isn't that much, and most businesses don't need to take anything offline unless the accommodations are things like printers (which don't need accommodations, IMO). The average time to acquire a JAWS license, for example, is probably less than a day. The average time to install NVDA is less than 5 minutes. Some businesses do use inaccessible software, but 99 percent of the time, that same application has a usable alternative interface that is accessible without having to alter many settings, such as a command-line or web interface. And most web interfaces are accessible, and since we're heading towards that form of UI, accessibility issues and needs for accommodations that require system outages are very, very less frequent. And while a business may lose profit, the profit they lose is probably very minimal. Getting one computer accommodated, which is all that's usually necessary, costs nowhere near $10000. It costs far, far less with that, and for NVDA it costs absolutely nothing. An average professional business gets well over $10000.00 a week. So, no, I'd say the money spent performing accommodations, if there is any to spend at all, is so minimal as to be pretty much discountable. Not to mention that if a business wants the most money, it is logical to assume that hiring more employees would accomplish that goal. Furthermore, a business that wants to spend as little profit as possible might as well cease to exist, or be a one-man work force.