Re: Opinions on what makes an audio game engaging

@Jase, my point was not that sighted players are! spacially aware, just that the sort of instant spacial judgements and apprehention they make are not based on a simple reaction test. It is the fact that such judgements need to  learned and practiced that is the reason why games like mega man, mario brothers and indeed all those 80's hard as nales arcade classics were so addictive.

In terms of physics that is what I meant, not first person mechanics specifically, but physics that use factors such as character movement, stopping distance and the actual movement  objects in space to challenge the player's judgement, not to merely present them a boppit like challenge.

I think your being a little unfair though in categorising all audiogames as "toys"

I myself came from a mainstream background, albeit due to graphical complexity and reliance on text my game playing stopped at the 16 bit era, and for me, audio and screen reader acessible games were the first chance I got to play! things in first person.

Shades of doom impressed me with its layout  mechanics, and swamp even more. Zero site (a sadly under rated game),requires a good amount of knolidge and practice and if you think all audiogames are that easy you should try some of the esp pinball tables, heck that was one reason I loved audio defense on the Iphone since that actually required physical movement, and of  there is bokerano daibuken 3.

it can! be done in audio, I just wish it was done a little more often and that  would concentrate a bit more on the simpler ends of gameplay and how to engage players judgement rather than being focused on either ramming in as  much content as  possible without considering how players will engage with it, or assuming that all difficulty comes from reaction times and nothing else.

Lastly on the matter of writing, I'm afraid that I have to disagree with you there since a lot of mainstream games, even best beloved ones had pretty terrible writing, hell much as I love the mega man series I can't say any have a stellar story.

yes, you have your grandia and final fantasy 7 and xenogears and dark souls and such, but those are exceptions not the rule, plus of course in all those cases the stories had a semi professional writer just! dedicated to actually writing the story's plot and text.

Actually thinking about it maybe that is part of the problem, people good at making games aren't necessarily the ones good at making stories, ---- or at least people who do both tend to go off and write gamebooks or the like instead big_smile.

@Sentori hope this topic was useful, I do enjoy considering what makes games engaging, and indeed I often wish people would think about this a little more in the real world, since if many  jobs were constructed on the basis of appealing to people's judgement and ability to learn, rather than assuming a gross boardom/reward model of repetitive action in a production line style system,  people would be much happier.

Then again before this gets too heavily into marxism and alienation of labour methinks I'll stop big_smile.