Re: Opinions on what makes an audio game engaging

Also for stories, it's not just games, it's TV, movies, etc. there's a great example from wrestling, the WWE grabbed a bunch of TV writers to write heir stories. None of the stories worked very well, and the TV writers were let go a few months later. Conversely a ew WWE writers have made the jump to write for movies and TV. I do feel though writing for games is an anomaly. If you write for a TV show, you go episode by episode, for games you already know the end point, so in a way you can lack that motivation to do a good job. I do feel though as a whole, game stories are too predictable, Duty Calls, a CoD parody captured this wonderfully in that short parody game when confronting the bad guy, IIR the playthroughs are on Youtube, the whole thing was a send up of the then modern military shooter genre, but it touched on storytelling in games.

I do think though again that storytelling in games is trying too hard to be Hollywood-esque, and that's to the detriment of the game itself. I wasn't involved with a story based game at SMS thankfully, but I've heard stories from other studios of whole mechanics and levels and segments being cut because they weren't fitting with the story, so rather than rewrite the story, the segments got axed and hte poor coders had to redo that bit of the game while the writers got off scot free.

I've said this to friends in the industry and former colleagues, why do games have to shoot for movie type stories? With a movie, you know what you're getting. It's passive. You know the bad guy's gonna get defeated, you walk out, you watched the movie, it's a few hours that gave you enjoyment (hopefully), but with games it is interactive, and I do feel that game devs and especially publishers are pushing for movie like storytelling and forgetting the most important point of a ame...it isn't passive entertainment. it's interactive, you're doing stuff. Much as FMV games were hated 25-30 years ago (Looking at you Dragon's lair), I feel the whole gaming  industry is regressing to that level at a steady rate. Okay you have stuff like Undertale, Into the Breach and FTL but all of those are the exception, not the rule.

Let's take the biggest selling games:

GtA V: Hollywood-esque story about 3 criminals that succeed no matter what the odds and all live happily ever after. Story over, all loose ends wrapped up niely
Minecraft: For the longest time it didn't even have a story...but now it does, you go fight the ender  dragon, get a poem, game over
Even  sports games are getting in on it, and I feel gaming as a whole needs to step back and cut back on the cutscenes, the Hollywood voice actors, the pushing for movie level storytelling, the linearity of games as a whole, I'd much rather see a return to the 80s/90s era of simple stories, fun and addicting and difficult gameplay...

That being said, I can look past a bad story if the gameplay is interesting enough to captivate me.