Re: blind characters in games of any media, present and discuss.

Since the discussion has strayed from purely games... I love Zatoichi. He has been popular since his conception in 1962, so not quite the early 20th century... but he is one of the best people who does the best job of walking a fine middle ground between amazing blind person and helpless disabled beggar. He has no supernatural or enhanced powers, unless you count his ability to hear loaded dice while gam bling, or track the footsteps of enemies coming in from behind him, which is possible with enough real training... He's always seen at first as a harmless masseur, until he has to defend himself. Then the sword hidden in his cane comes out fast and quick. No drawn out fights with this guy, he kils everyone who attacks him quickly. The films always focus on his helping a village to rise up against some oppressor. He doesn't have any abilities that wouldn't be believable of someone who has had extensive martial arts and swordsmanship training. I'm at work so unfortunately can't write too much more, but his balance of amazing abilities as well as a very real sense of being human is what I like about him. Any blind person who does martial arts for long enough could potentially do many of the same things. I have nevr seen the American remake featuring Rutger Hauer, but western media tends to go to either end of the extremes... either they are beyond this world amazing, or helpless, bumbling characters. I will write more later.