Re: not able to search unless you're logged in?

That one actually does make sense, since if you could view profiles without logging in you could potentially get the forum email system to spam someone, not to mention view people's email and other contact details if they stay public, so even if there was an admin setting for this (which I don't think there is), I probably wouldn't consider changing it for purpose of protecting people's security at least somewhat.