Re: Opinions on what makes an audio game engaging

I'd say though gameplay is more important than immersion though, if you have a really immersive game but poor gameplay you'll notice that quicker, I feel, whereas great gameplay can carry a title on its own regardlesss of how good or bad immersion is. Again, the Puzzle Quest game series, it has generic story, but the gameplay carries it because it adds new twists every so often.

I'd also say immersion is subjective, I had this discussion earlier actually about yes, you need detail BUT you don't want to go overboard with detail and describe, say, every single blade of grass in a field, or for audiogames have every tiny thing make noise. I feel it's a balancing act for immersion, you have to get it right. Something like....say.....a game where you're walking through a field in Minecraft strikes a nice balance, you got the footsteps, the animals moving around and the subtle background music, it all fits together to immerse you, you know what you're doing walking on grass and dirtt. I'd rather however for games as a whole, not just audiogames hit that balance, they don't need to be 3 hour Hollywood movies with quick time events, I recently watched a playthrough of A Way Out and that encapsulated my point perfectly, it's a big budget game that screams OH LOOK GAME AS MOVIE and you never, ever feel immersed in it because it's constantly showing off with set pieces, and the 'gameplay' is just go here, press button....do thing.

The immersion aspect though is subjective, like I said I prefer subtle immersion honestly, I'd rather have X number of sounds and then them used subtle than have 5000 sounds all rammed  into a game to give info. I'd personally rather have only sounds that need to be there....like for the field example, only the wind blowing, the footsteps and animals wandering around, that's all that's needed, I don't need a fence bleeping at me from halfway across the field, I don't need a cow giving me an audio cue constantly. Less is sometimes more is what I'm saying, or lesss sounds can mean more immersion.