Re: Books by Stephen King

Well just finished the lawn mower man.

I'll admit this one was disappointing. The initial setup was interesting, with the mysterious lawn clearing firm and the guy coming around to work. I'll even excuse King a few blatant early kingism, EG the main character randomly talking about being disappointed when a cat got run over by his mower because his wife was upset so he "didn't get layed", since the idea of quite literally a grim reaper, or perhaps grim mower is an interesting one.

the problem is that this was one of the first times I've seen that King's actual talent to inspire horror simply deserted him. King planely found the idea of a mower moving on its own and a naked fat man scrabbling after it eating grass cuttings terrifying, he even tells us so. The problem is I just didn't!

Oh being actually chased by a ravening mower would be nasty enough, but King works up to the chase with this apparently horrific specticle (with the guy ringing the police) because, shock horror! there's a naked fat man eating grass cuttings!
Such a thing is grotesque at best, though for me it didn't go beyond raising an eyebrow, particularly since there really isn't much of a chase or a threat, the man got got pretty damn quickly.

This is also one of the few instances where King really should've been more gory! since whatever else I think of the story, if we'd got a close up and personal view of the guy getting mowed down the story would've at least had a little bit of gorefulness, ---- anyone remember Cyrax from Mortal Kombat 3 and the helechopter? big_smile.

Sadly the action cuts just before the mower does with the guy's remains being discovered by the police, remains which aren't even described, heck, we couldn't even feel sorry the guy was dead since we didn't really get an idea what his wife and daughter felt about him.

So, definitely a misfire.