Re: Should Porn Be Banned On College Campuses?

question, what is pornography?

Some of my lady friends tell me they enjoy checking out posters of scantily clad boy bands or male sports stars, is this pornography? How about romance novels?

What about fashion magazines which include clothing modelling, often in unclad positions, and how about art works such as nudes etc?

Are we going to ban any film with a scene of sex between heterosexual people? How about sex therapists and instruction manuals, heck my lady and I read threw Alex Comfort's "the joy of sex" together as part of treating my genophobia, would this be pornography?

What about text games like Flexible survival, or audio games like Jim kitchin's spanker?

Even in so called professional "pornography" there is a pretty major difference between a couple who film themselves making love and put it on line, or those who willingly engage in sexual videos on a professional basis, (videos which are often used in an instructional way, and someone who has been forced to pose in front of a camera, or still worse, has had unpleasant things done to them in front of a camera which have then been shared for their humiliation.

This latter sort, the sort of pornography  which causes devastating harm to those involved in its production should definitely be  criminalised both for users and especially for producers, but tarring all possible sexual material with the same brush seems like extreme overkill to me, especially in a digital age where use of human models to produce any sort of videos will likely soon become entirely unnecessary anyway.