Re: Anyone here still spin cds?

The only physical media I pay attention to is vinyl. Even when I was a kid, and CD's were in their heyday, I didn't much care for them. They can be very easily scratched or broken, especially if you're a kid and you don't really take care of your stuff that well. There were a few times when I'd open my backpack to look for something, only to find broken pieces of some disk or other that had fallen down and gotten crushed by my textbooks or whatever else I was carrying. Later, I bought one of those large books that could hold 200 CD's. I cared far more about lugging that back and forth to school than anything I needed to study. But still the problem with CD's being so fragile persisted. At one point, I took my portable CD player to the beach with me. It got sand in it somehow, and because the sand was lodged inside the actual mechanism that reads the disks, a whole bunch of my CD's got scratched and utterly destroyed. I didn't make the connection until days, if not weeks later, so by that point I'd already subjected half my collection to that. Say what you will about vinyl, but one of the things that appeals to me about it, despite what many people say to the contrary, is that it's more durable in the sense that a few scratches here and there can, and will, effect the quality of the sound, but they won't cause the whole album to become unusable. That usually doesn't happen unless a cat jumps on your turntable or something and causes your record to get scratched all to hell. I've seen a few like that, and it ain't pretty, but even still, the whole thing isn't usually ruined.

Also, since I was a 90's kid, in addition to being a weird blind kid, I had tapes galore. Even when I grew out of that awkward, incessant phase of recording everything around me, I created mixtapes well into my teenage years. I often preferred to listen to them instead of my CD's, even though it was those which I used to record the tapes in the first place. While I still much prefer vinyl as my favorite analog medium for listening to music, since tapes suffer from plenty of problems themselves, I'd still say they're better than CD's any day.