Re: The Blind Comunity

College is unfortunately something that's being shoved down everyone's throats. College is not the be all end all solution for absolutely everyone. I have no plans on attending an actual College. I'm in the process of obtaining CompTIA IT certifications which should hopefully get me into the industry assuming I can get past all the misconceptions.

I'm actually curious to know what's so great about guide dogs? Maybe it's just because I'm not a dog fan, but I've never understood what was so great about them. Sure, they can help you avoid certain obstacles, but the dog won't get you from point a to point b without you knowing where you're going. The dog won't tell you what's around you in great detail. Is it simply a case of people wanting a dog that also acts as a guide, a method of gaining attention from others, or both? I'd really like to know. Personally, I think it would be much more valuable if we invested in some kind of super advanced GPS and object recognition system that would provide us with detailed information from the environment around us. Imagine having something that could tell you how far away and in what direction a door was. As you turned and got closer, this information would be updated accordingly. I'm imagining something like AIRA but without the human element and using the much more accurate Galileo GPS and/or indoor navigation. It would essentially fill the gap we currently have of not being able to glance around and quickly learn what was in our immediate environment that everyone else takes for granted.