Re: justifying magic, scientifically or otherwise?

I don't know, the fly example doesn't seem consistant from when I played last.  If I remember right, certain field penalties still apply, especially the dreaded swamp environments.  However, with the water example there, it displaces the water away so one can walk better over water...  So why not swamp environments as well?  IN fact, wouldn't it be easier to make someone walk in a swamp with levitation rather than the ocean?

     I sort of like Lost Souls implementation of magic.  Especially the magi guilds, who tend to have histories, and casting processes that generally explains what you do with certain energies to eventually end up with a certain affect with a spell.  However, this extends outside of the magi guilds, but information on how stuff like empathic charm magic tends to work is less accessible to the playerbase, but still referenced by builders to keep empathic bonds consistant in design.