Re: getting started with a raspberry py

Well, I thought I'd wait for a while to see if anyone mentioned it, but there is an image that, although it's alpha, I'm using for quite a few things, and it comes out of the box talking.
It's called F123 Light and has a few translations in other languages then English, so you'd want to make sure you got the right image.
It comes up into a menu, which uses Fenrir for the screen reader, and by default Espeak for tts.
It does offer a way to drop to the command line, and will run some graphical programs with Orca, just not the whole desktop at once.
It's a nifty mix of both, and it's aim is to be simple to use.
The link for it is:
http://public.f123.org
There's a guide that tells you how to use it, and you can get the image onto the sd card in the usual ways either from Linux or windows.
You'll want at least a 16 gig sd, I use a 32 because the Canakits I buy come with them.
I've got Slackware and Raspbian on two of them both with talking speech, but the F123 Light is the easiest to use.
These critters aren't for the faint of heart, but with a little homework before ya start, they can be fun and sometimes even useful... (grin)
Hope this helps a little.
Take care...
Cheereo!