Re: Jenux OS, The "Next Jen!"

The arch script screwed up and then my machine would boot straight into BIOS. This machine is a bit, meh, so I thought it was that. When I did the arch install manually from the talking arch ISO, it worked. I've since been trying to troubleshoot issues with Fenrir which I've gotten through the AUR. It's quite unresponsive, however, when you load up the latest Jenux ISo, the one that includes Fenrir, its very snappy. Talking to Hacker on tt, he suggested I copy the config files for fenrir and for speech-dispatcher which I've done. So after changing the relevant entries in both to point to espeakup, because I don't have or really want RH voice, I got it working and its still laggy. Now, here's the point where I'm wondering WTF. I cloned Fenrir from git just to get its dependency checker, which it failed at fenrir core, I'm not sure what that means, but all the stuff before that was OK. However, if I try to connect to speech dispatcher with spd-say <message> I get an error about user 1000 can't connect to unix socket, no such file or directory. I'm wondering if it was just always like that, or if the config I pulled from the ISO is causing that, so I'll have to trawl through it in greater detail. It's also worth noting that if I edit /etc/settings/fenrirscreenreader/settings/settings.conf and comment out the current driver, and uncomment out speechd, it will come up without speech next restart.

I've created a little shell script to kill off Speakup. It unloads espeakup, speakup's daemon, then the two kernel modules, speakup_soft and finally speakup itself. So any and all conflicts that might have arisen with speakup running should not play a role in this issue. In fact, I've actually had them both running at the same time, that was interesting.

If I could figure out why speech-dispatcher isn't working or what drivers I'm missing, if any, and get this thing running like it does on the Jenux ISO, I'd be a happy camper, and disable speakup from starting, and enable Fenrir as my primary screen reader.