Re: Chronicles of Narnia Audiodrama

I still havent' got around to the focus on the family dramatisations, I'd be interested to give them a try.

I did enjoy the bbc miniseries and indeed the audio adaptation, rather more than the Hollywood films truth be told, since Dawn treader, probably my favourite of the books, was totally trampled on in the film.

In general the series is one I grew up with at a very young age, so I can't be %100 objective about it.
I can say certain aspects now feel to me a little too dated and pedagogical, for example I get really sick of the "its very silly to shut yourself in a wardrobe" but I do love the immagery and the world.

its also interesting to compare the books to Lewis's space trilogy, yes, C S lewis wrote science fiction, albeit these days with science being so much more advanced its more like science fantasy.

I particularly love the first two books, especially the second perilandra, and what is interesting is a lot of the style is the same, for example he often talks of the aliens as talking animals, and even speaks directly to the reader on occasion.
My only miner issue is with the third book, which is quite draggy and goes into arthurian legend, also while I can forgive some of the gender assumptions, EG when he talks about "the divine masculinity of god", or "the mother hood of all women" I do have to clench my teeth, likewise he does have some issues with the way he writes female characters, albeit I do feel he gets a bit too much flack because of this due to Susan in narnia, the books are nearly 70 years old after all.

So, if you enjoy Narnia and want to see what a narnia for grownups is like, I can highly recommend the space trilogy, albeit the third of the series is definitely the weakest entry.