Re: Here, have my source... what's left of it.

OK, I think it's time for me to debut a new series. I'm calling it Advice from Uncle Iron.

First, to everyone else excluding Danny. Don't act like you don't have a dog in this hunt. Don't act like you don't go out there and act all pushy, asking for release dates, demanding new features, basically, acting as if the developer is obliged to continue to update the game from here to the end of time. This is not unique behavior to the blind community, its things that mainstream gamers do too, so I'm not judging you for it, I'm just asking you to be aware of it.

To Danny. You've literally allowed other people to turn you bitter, and age prematurely over a game, literally lines of code, a game, not anything serious, just a game, and not even a paid one. Think about that. I don't think the way things went down is entirely your fault, but the things that happened afterward certainly are. Do you not have a concept of responsibility for your actions? You said in a previous post about how could you just shut down the game, how could you just pull out of it when so many people were playing it. The answer to that question is always take care of yourself first, as Defender said. You come first, know why that is? Because look what happened to you after. You literally used to be a nice dude, and now you've allowed a silly little game to turn you into a bitter husk of a man. I was on it back then, I liked it, but when you consider the big picture, and how you literally have lived almost none of your full life up until now, doesn't it sound silly that you literally allowed others to do this to you? It does to me. You have more time ahead of you than you do behind. Provided nothing happens, you could live another 60+ years. Are you going to let this affect you for all that remaining time? Look, we all get depressed, we all get down, we all wallow in self-pity. The difference is, we let it run its course, then we get back up, get on our feet and start moving on. Time stops for no man, including you. So you really have a choice to make, and it's your choice, no one else's. You can either stay on the ground, huddled in a ball, defeated over some lines of code, or you can get back up on your feet, and say, this was 5 years ago, and I'm done worrying about it. I don't think you deserved what happened, especially because it's clear to me that you have some emotional problems, but its impossible to help someone who refuses to help themselves. Yes, I was on the game a lot, I enjoyed it, we talked, but no we weren't friends. I still want the best for you dude, it doesn't change that. I would like to see you get turned around and headed on the right track. You deserve that, and you deserve to lead a fulfilling life. But you have, to stop, making excuses. You have the power to fix this, but you have to make it happen. You have to climb up out of that rut, and its gonna take every bit of strength  you have. It's going to be the hardest thing you've probably had to do, and it will only happen if you eliminate all the doubt in your mind. Doubt stops you from realizing your full potential, so get rid of it, it has no place in you. Only when you believe in yourself 100%, and you stop making excuses and start taking action, can you begin to turn around.

To everyone who wants to revive this game, don't. Seriously don't, it's dead, and you need to realize that it's dead. We don't need this right now. Let sleeping dogs lie, for god's sake just let, it, go. If you want to create a space game, then do it from scratch, and in a more modern language than pure basic, which you have to pay $100 for if you don't intend on pirating it. I never saw the code, but I think Danny did a lot of hacking to get stuff working in that thing. He even told me that he coded all of the thing's menus by hand each time instead of creating a small function or callable library to do it. Think about that, each menu, the game menu, each menu for each console, etc. Think about how hacky this code is likely to be. It also doesn't suit the potential student to learn from an unknown source. Unknown because we can't attest to the quality of the code. Would you study for an exam off the notes taken by a stoner kid in the back of the class? Not if you want to pass you wouldn't, you'd take your own notes and make sure it was done right, then use those as a study aid.

We're still feeling repercussions from ultrapower though, so just for all things holy, let this game lie, its in the past, and that's where it should stay.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : monkey999 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : kianoosh via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : monkey999 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Makiocento via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : monkey999 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : The Dwarfer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Guitarman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : monkey999 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : cmerry via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Ethin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : BlindJedi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector