linux in a virtual machine or even on a flash drive

Greetings all,

I'm looking for a commandline based linux distribution which has got orca or a similar screen reader, and people are using it and recommend it.
What do you think, which is easier?
Using a virtual machine or booting from a flash drive?
My problem with virtual machines is that they're sometimes stuttering and if i restart my virtual machine all things which i created/downloaded are lost, even programs which don't come with the iso or other file originaly.
That's an oversight on my part i believe because it should work normaly.
Any help would be appreciated in this regard too.
Thanks in advance.