Re: The Wonders of Netflix

VoiceOver is reading the subtitles because Apple introduced this capability in iOS 11. See Settings > General > Accessibility > VoiceOver > Verbosity > Media Descriptions.

I would not support using text-to-speech for audio description. Organisations of audio describers recommend that the people who read audio description scripts should not use the same tone in describing a high-intensity action scene and a scene of grieving. If synthetic speech were used, the audio description would sound flat and almost monotone compared to the actors' dialogue. Furthermore, sighted people are beginning to discover audio description as a means of watching movies and TV programs without looking at the screen, and they would not support this idea as they would consider the voices too robotic, and it would detract from the high-quality auditory experience. If we as blind people want more audio description, we should encourage sighted people to use it, and together we can have a stronger voice in appealing to movie studios and government bodies to increase the availability of audio description.