FreeOS Project

The FreeOS project is a project to develop a stable, extensible, useful Arch Linux installation system that 'just works'. The FreeOS project is ready to help you get Arch Linux installed onto your system. The installer guides you through the process, giving you several opportunities to tailor things to your liking before you even boot into the installed OS.
Features:

  • Detects whether you are on an EFI or BIOS system and acts accordingly

  • Automatically partitions disk for you

  • Options to select which type of file system to install to the root partition

  • Installs a base system with some extra tools to help diagnose network issues as well as allowing for wifi connections in the new system

  • Allows installation of additional packages upon user request

  • configures a desktop environment of the users' choice

  • configures a console screen reader of the users' choice (disabling desktop screen reader and display manager)

  • Allows you to set other options during installation, such as time zone, whether you want to enable NTP, whether you want a hostname or not, and whether you want microcode updates.

IF you've ever wanted a hassle-free Arch installation, give FreeOS a try.
Warning:
This ISO is not set up at the moment for duel-boot scenarios. Do not run this IsO on a computer with an existing OS -- you will lose everything!
Getting the iso:
The ISO can be downloaded by clicking this link.
Booting the ISO:
To boot the ISO, use a VM or boot it with physical hardware. The ISO will copy itself into memory, so you'll need (approximately) twice the amount of memory of the size of the ISO. Once the ISO has started, it will begin speaking with Fenrir. The basic speakup commands (caps+u, caps+o, caps+j, aps+k, ...) work to navigate the screen. Once the ISO has fully booted, you may remove your CD/USB drive.
Starting the installation:
To start the installation, simply type 'setup'. (If you want the latest development files, which may not be stable, type 'setup -d'.) This will download the latest files (development or stable) and immediately start the installation process.
Reporting issues:
Please report issues on the github repository, which is linked below. This is to ensure that we can keep track of all issues and fix them when we receive them, rather than the next time we happen to check the forum.
Developer listing:
The developers that are currently working on the project (as of the time of this edit) are:

  • Me

  • Ironcross32

  • Garrettturner

Contributing:
The project is fully open-source. The git hub repository is at https://github.com/ethindp/arch-installer. The project is licensed under GPL-2.0 and is written in Python 3 (though there are shell components). We have a few general rules as of now:

  • Use the dev branch for development/unstable additions. Use the master branch once you have confirmed that unstable additions are stable. Do not mix these two!

  • Please perform as much quality and assurance (QA) testing as you can before it is committed into master.

  • Please follow the PEP8 style guide. When you make changes, do your best to lint the files once you have added/modified python files. (Warnings like C0301 (line too long) can most likely be ignored.)

Notice:
This is late alpha software. While we have performed extensive testing to ensure the stability of the installation system, we cannot guarantee 100-percent stability, nor can we guarantee 100-percent success rates. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Enjoy the installation process, and I hope it works for you! smile