How do you all handle public gyms?

Hello all. I am quite an athletic person, but do mostly at home body workouts. However, recently, I got a gym membership. I often go with my sister, however, the thing is she always has to help me start the machines, which can be annoying at times. So, I was just wonderring how you all handled going to a public gym, if you had any tips or ideas to make it easy, not embaressing, and as independant as possible. In short terms, accessible, especially when it comes to machine equipment like tred mills, or bikes. Also, just being oriented and knowing where the different machine types are and how they are arranged.