Re: people touching blind people

Most often, I've tended to find that the questions and the patronising attitude tend to be different entities, EG if someone asks me "how do you do so and so" it usually means they're actually treating me like a rational human being who can answer questions for himself, where as if someone simply talks about me to someone else or obtrudes their idea of so called "help" onto me without asking me first it probably means I'm in the homo blindus weerdus species.

In some ways then, I usually tend to revel in the "how much can you see" or "have you always been blind" question, since this usually signifies the point that someone has gone from the one state to the other.

As to the hole representing thing, Flacus is correct on the function of prejudice,however myself I tend to think of it more that I have to learn to be far better with people, employ my empathy and practice the long forgotten art of conversation simply because people will see me as another species. I don't think, or even care most of the time about how people see "other blind people", not unless they've met some real blind prat who gave them a bad impression, however I do care that people stop treating me like an alien so I try my best to make a good impression, be friendly etc.

The operative word here however is "try", I'll be the first to say I don't always succeed, especially because while I've had to learn social and conversational skills, by personal inclination I'm a natural introvert, and i admit constantly having to convince people that I am not a freak or an alien and that I actually am a human being with a brain is frankly something I get tired of, especially in areas like physical boundaries where I will be the first to admit I have my own hangups.

@Zarvox it depends upon the child. Some children are nice and genuinely curious, some children are frankly little shitbags.

I admit I am not good with children, nor comfortable around them, but that's more about me than anything else, though equally I have run across the occasional decent child in my time to, and as with adults, if children are just being genuinely curious and actually asking me as a person that is fine, if they're just being offensive then they can sod off!