Re: Ideas for an Arcade Game?

So far, the simplest design I have in mind would be a storyless, survival beat em up where you simply go through levels against enemies that become tougher and more challenging as time goes on with the occasional obstacles to get past such as traps, moving vehicles or other hazards, etc. Reach certain milestones in points for extra lives, and make use of strategic weapons and items, some of which can only be used once. The game would be a side scroller, no vertical movement other than the traditional jump, but the complexity would be in the mechanics. Enemies would take multiple hits to die depending on what type they were, but a combo system would discourage button mashing, and damage would be better calculated. Spacing would be key, as enemies have different attack patterns and ranges, including some more powerful attacks that need to be dodged or avoided in some other way.
For combat mechanics, it would revolve around a light and heavy attack system which would chain in different sequences to create combos and if you time it well, the possibility of kiling an opponent in one blow. There could also, if audio design worked, be attacks from the air from enemies as well as the player having the same ability. New moves or techniques can be unlocked, as well as context sensative actions for being in certain conditions such as being close to a wall, caught between two enemies, etc, and possibly a screen clearing attack at the expense of health. To keep moves from being spamed, more powerful techniques will be governed by a meter system similar to mainstream games.

That's all I have for now. It's a simple concept at its base, and the good thing is that it could be changed up according to the theme you want to have. My first game to design, if it ever were to happen would probably be something set in a martial arts world, as I grew up on those types of films and there's always nostalgia there for me. if someone was willing to do the programming, I would be able to hash it out in more detail and narrow in on more specific things. And as someone who does martial arts training on a regular basis, I do think it would give me an edge in designing combat systems in a game.