Re: Why I like old music discussion

A gramophone is definitely on my want list, I love the sound. Yeah, you can obtain digital copies of the music of that era, or any era, nowadays, but hearing it how it was meant to be heard is an experience all its own.

As for blues, I'm definitely a fan of pre-electric blues myself. What fascinates me about it is how brutally honest it is. So much of what blues music was about in the 20's and 30's was sex, poverty, drugs, more sex, and reefer madness, and oh, did I mention sex? Some of it is just so over the top it makes me laugh, while some of it is shockingly brutal, misogynist, and just plain sad. Very, very few other genres quite give you the window into a marginalized, desperate population the way early blues music does. In fact, most music of that time period was, well, insensitive by today's standards. If you listen to country music from the same era, the n word gets dropped quite a lot, as do other popular racial slurs of the time. And again, there's almost a gleefulness about it, as well as abuse of women and children being glorified, which is rather horrifying. But none of that offends me. It's history. A lot of those attitudes would be buried if not for music, like many art forms, being preserved. You can't forget where you've come from, because then you make it ok to continue being dicks, to put it bluntly. Also, I really enjoy it when someone rants and raves about how sinful and awful today's music is, and you can say, "actually, check out this old obscure blues song! Music has always been this way."

You know, I really miss that topic we used to have on here, it was called rate the song or something like that. People would post a link to a song, and the next person would give it a rating out of 10. Someone mentioned posting Youtube links earlier in this thread, which made me think of it. Maybe someone should create a thread like that again, or at least one for links to music we're digging at the moment