Re: Yung adult lidrature, light in the darkness.

You probably don't want to read books set in Britain, but I would vote for We Didn't Mean to go to Sea by Arthur Ransome. Four youngsters drift out to sea in a sailing boat off the coast of England, and end up crossing the channel. Of all the books I've read about mishaps at sea, this demonstrated more than any other just what trouble you'd be in if you set to sea and didn't know what you were doing. Luckily, these four kids' father is an officer in the Navy, and they knew all about sailing. What they overcome is the perils of the sea. It's a terrific book, but might be a little dated and dull for some. Another book I'd recommend is Kingdom by the Sea by Robert Westall. Again set in England during the second World War, where a ten-year-old boy survives a direct hit on his house, and believing his parents to be dead, sets off to survive alone. A fantastic book for young adults. Again, might possibly be a bit dated and boring to a young person. Sorry they're both UK based, but those would be my picks anyway.