Re: Kittens game, complex strategical single player browser game

As a baseline I believe each catnip field produces 0.125  catnip per tick, and each kitten consumes four catnip, which is why you need over 40 fields for just the two of them, however its not quite as simple as that, because as soon as you research Calendar you can start to make pastures which reduce catnip consumption, and whe you research agriculture assign kittens as farmers which gives a massive increase.

With no bonuses, 6 kittens is waaaay too many for 55 fields, especially when you start  to hit colder seasons

What I've been tending to do is recruit kittens when my production looks to be high, then shuffle them around according to the weather, indeed I'd recommend pausing the game when you get to the end of autumn and start of winter to check your not going negative.

Bare in mind Kittens game isn't one of those incremental games where you have a population in the hundreds of thousands.