Re: How should mainstream developers make interfaces accessible?

Here's and excerpt from a post about the development of Freeq, I assume those of you who posted so far wouldn't agree with the perspective tube of the Freeq players that she is citing?

"Our other major win, from our players' perspective, came from our inability to use VoiceOver.  You see, VoiceOver uses the Siri voice.  For everything.  So it doesn't matter what you're listening to, whether it's a travel app or a medieval fantasy story or the settings menu for the phone itself, it's all read to you by Siri.  And as you can imagine, that can get rather old, rather quickly.  But because we couldn't use VoiceOver, we had to record our own "Siri" voice.  Our lead designer just so happened to also be both a voice actor in the game and our primary sound engineer, so he locked himself in his office for a couple of afternoons and recorded every piece of voiceover we'd need to provide instructions and interface cues.  And since he was the one who had processed all of FREEQ's audio to begin with, adding filters and additional effects here and there to make it sound unique, it made sense to do the same for our replacement VoiceOver reader.

This was one of the most popular parts of the game, among our blind and low-vision players.  The fact that the game provided the functionality they needed, but did it in a way that didn't break their immersion, was something they really liked. Everything about the game existed "in-world", and we have heard again and again that they very much appreciated this extra little bit of polish."

(Full article at https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DianaHu … ayers.php)