Upcoming Free Accessible Sound Design Course

Hey everyone, I'm one of the members of Ebon Sky Studios and in an informal chat last night we kind of stumbled upon the idea of creating a video series so that members of this community can become sound designers, which will increase the quality of all the games we put out as a whole, and because with the release of Sable in the future, suddenly we'll need access to a much wider variety of audio to use in the games we make.

The reason I did not post this in the developer section is the purpose of this is to reach people who love audiogames but never thought about creating content for them.

I'm sighted, and I've only just realised that the resources for learning sound design are plentiful for sighted people online. I've been researching tutorials and all of them refer to visual activity too often to be accessible.

I'm going to create a series under the Ebon Sky banner that will teach anyone how to be a sound designer from the ground up. I'm going to be using Reaper, which is free for 60 days and after that (I've read, I'm installing it now) it's still free but you have to click past a screen suggesting you buy it. I'm going to be using NVDA for a screen reader, and I'll have the screen reader on during all of the videos, narrating what I'm doing. Also I'll be using the Osara plugin for Reaper.

Reaper: https://www.reaper.fm/download.php
Osara: https://github.com/jcsteh/osara/archive/master.zip

The series will not start for a little while - perhaps in a month or so, when our Ebon Sky/Sable video series ends. I'm posting this to try to gather up as many people as we can to join in and create sounds.

We will be processing sound effects, creating sound effects from scratch (foley), processing vocal material, best practice in recording the voice, and a few other things here and there. Furthermore, I'm going to post the videos to YouTube, and I'm thinking about making it as interactive as possible - I'll give an assignment and if you want to do it you can post your results as comments. Or perhaps in a thread here.

Lastly, please comment with your interest level. If this already exists somewhere - please let me know. If this isn't something you want at all, please let me know.

Thanks!

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : daisyalesoundworks via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : daisyalesoundworks via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : daisyalesoundworks via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : BoundTo via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : daisyalesoundworks via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : BoundTo via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ogomez92 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : saqib mir via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : mahdi-abedi via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : daisyalesoundworks via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ashleygrobler04 via Audiogames-reflector