Re: thoughts about levelling in rpgs

For the record, they got rid of the micro timers on Alter Aeon a while ago.

I look at levelling like this. If I'm some no-name peasant who picks up a sword, I am going to learn much more because it is completely new. By the time I'm level twenty-one, yes, I will learn quite a bit from my dragon killing, but on the other hand, it's going to take a lot more effort for me to find something new to learn because I'm already relatively expert at my field.

It's like learning in any field. The basics are easy, the middle is also relatively easy, but becoming an expert takes years and years.

games like Project Bob (which I don't believe is around anymore), Clok, and Lost Souls have a more linear progression which I think works better than the pure levelling system.