Re: Monthly chat March 2019

@spoon glad you like the random monthly chat topics. It was something a friend of mine used to do on a forum she ran which I thought was a nice idea, especially since while this is the offtopic room and theoretically for discussing anything none game related, in practice it always ends up being the technology blindness  and very occasionally books discussion room big_smile.

So I tried this as an experiment in October of 2014 and its still going strong big_smile.

@Dark eagle, yep, I remember those long times of exams,  yee gods having to dictate everything must be a pest. IN my exams  I was allowed to use my laptop provided I carried my own printer and printed out the exam paper answers, which of course I had to do in a separate room. Then again, since post school the majority of my university exams involved writing long essay question answers, trying to dictate them to someone would've been a nightmare big_smile.

Well things have gone well today. I've got a lot of work done on my sf novella, as well as finished a review of Watchers by Dean Koontz, which was good but overly nice in places (hopefully it'll get posted soon).
Mrs. Dark and I are also reading both a pretty cool introduction to basic chemistry, which is a chemistry book intended for intelligent none science background readers. Its a really good read and nice to sort out what things like ionic bonding are, how combustion works and so on, but I do wish it wouldn't refer to the position of things on the periodic table quite as much, and just tell us  atomic numbers and classifications instead.

Since that is obviously a trifle dense, if fascinating, we're also reading Magic's price by Mercedes Lackey, one of her valdemar series about a mage whose psychically bonded to a horse companion.
If this follows the last Lackey trilogy I read, it should be  good in its third volume even if it was a bit wandery in the second so we shal see.

I also finished The chimes by Anna Smaill which was bloody Awesome! a sort of post apocalyptic dystopia based on music with chimes each day that take people's memories. One of the best written books I've read for quite some time, also absolutely  for including characters who are blind, deaf and gay without making a huge song  and dance about it, and making the blind deaf and gay characters much more than just a ticking of  token box (one character I wasn't even sure was gay until he started a romantic relationship with another guy).

Plus poetic writing and some scenes that were bloody dark. I'll be writing a review up for this one and it'll definitely be getting a high mark from me I think.