Re: Accessible Sound Design Course (Free)

Yes, to get up and running, you have everything. Depending on what you want to do, you might want to get some plugins, if you want to make music, you'll need some instruments. For editing though, the stock plugins work fine. It should say something like Reaper unregistered when you launch it or something, I forget what it says because it says about my license details for me. Anyway, to just see if everything is cool, hit control T then enter to create a new track, then F7 and F8 to arm that track for recording and then monitor it. At this point, you should hear yourself. Reaper will ask you to configure your audio devices when you launch it for the first time, so this is where you will set the audio driver to windows audio session (wasapi) for the best lowest latency, and choose your mic and speakers. So you should hear yourself, but if you don't, hit control P, and you'll probably be in the devices screen already, but if not, shift tab and find the tree view, then hit d. You'll be thrown into the middle of it then, and can look around for input and output. I recommend using wasapi for the lowest latency, but if you're going through hardware that supports ASIO, then you can do better by using that.

There are some prefs I'd set up too, like set all your paths in the paths screen which you can find under control P the preference screen. What I've done is create a folder named reaper at the root of my hard drive, then set all my paths to subdirectories under that one, so I have like c:\reaper\projects, c:\reaper\render, c:\reaper\rec, c:\reaper\peaks. Doing it this way keeps things organized. Also, letting it save peaks is a good idea because if you do, let's say you need to work on a podcast which is at least an hour. It'll take some time to import that file the first time, but if you allow reaper to save peaks, if you have to import it into another project or something, it'll open almost immediately. There are some others, mine is fairly customized and I forget what all I changed. Oh, one thing you might want to do, under plugins and then compatibility, but you can just hit C on the tree view, you might want to change the bridging/firewalling policy from automatic to something like separate process for plugins, or dedicated process. What this will do is bridge all plugins in their own host window. So the way Reaper works by default, if you use 64 bit reaper, you can run 64 bit plugins with no problems, 32 bit plugins though, those need a host window to run under, which is what automatic does, basically not bridging 64 bit but bridging 32 bit. If you would disable bridging altogether, your 32 bit plugins wouldn't even run. But by setting it to one of those two options I mentioned, what you'd gain by that is first of all, a separate window you can alt tab to for your plugin. So you can leave the window up but also get back to reaper. Also, if everything is running under the host, if that process goes down, it will not take Reaper with it. If you left it on Automatic and it was running natively, and a plugin crashed, Reaper would crash too. This way, you're protecting yourself a bit. Reaper is very stable, apart from plugin issues (which they can't control other people's software), and that is even rare, It might have crashed like maybe 5 times for me. Other people do have worse luck than me. I am fully confident leaving my reaper open all day and doing work on stuff here and there and I almost never save. I would spend hours on stuff and when it comes time to render, I'd be like, holy crap, you never even saved this today. That's how stable Reaper is for me. If you run bridged constantly, it probably will be that stable for you too. I also have it configured that I have to hit F then A to add an effect rather than hitting F and it puts me right into the add thing. I do this because then I can load FX chains without having to have an effect present first, which is good. I'm so used to hitting F then A, that if I am working from a clean settings file, it's odd to me, or the one or two times I've helped someone with Reaper over NVDA remote, and used an effect to test something, it's gone straight into it and I'm like weirded out, it's such muscle memory now.
Also, tip for anyone registering Reaper. Copy the license into your clipboard before you launch it. Reaper will see that it's a Reaper license and ask you if you want to import it. If you say yes to that, you're done, that's literally all you have to do.

Oh, and some people will use 32 bit Reaper on a 64 bit system, or have two Reapers, one they install and a portable one. They might keep a portable 64 bit version as a portable for working with VSTi or virtual instruments (also note to peeps that eloquence will say V, S, T, I, very similar to how it says VSTi with a lower case I and capital V, S, T, so be on the look out for that because it will show up in Reaper). I use 64 bit Reaper and never have problems running 32 bit plugins. Others do, so it's kind of subjective I guess, but I'd say there's no real reason to have to run 32 bit reaper on a 64 bit system unless you have problems running 64 bit. There are apparently 32 bit plugins Reaper can't bridge, older ones using something called DX, which I know nothing about. There is a DX wrapper apparently, which can make them work in 64 bit systems probably by emulating 32 bit, but you'll probably never even need one of those plugins as they're not used anymore from what I understand. I've run 64 bit forever now and never had any issues with it whatsoever, so unless it's a problem for you, I'd say run 64 bit if your system is 64 bit.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : daisyalesoundworks via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : daisyalesoundworks via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ashleygrobler04 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : daisyalesoundworks via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : daisyalesoundworks via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : daisyalesoundworks via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ashleygrobler04 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : saqib mir via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : daisyalesoundworks via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ashleygrobler04 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Origine via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : tmstuff000 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : daisyalesoundworks via Audiogames-reflector