Re: Synology DSM: tips & tricks?

Hello,

Thanks for the tips about synology NAS.

I hope DSM 7 will increase the accessibility. Do you know, as a long time user, when it will be available and if there will be a beta version?

I also have a question about getting the root directory of the NAS as a network drive. Because now it seems I only can get subfolders like: homes, home, music and video as a network drive and not the root directory. Do you know a solution?

I also hope I find a good way to backup 3 4 TB usb drives to the NAS.

Thanks
Regards

Hijacker wrote:

Hi there,
yeah, I do have experiences with DSM for quite a few years now, starting with DSM 5 which wasn't all about accessibility like DSM 6 is now. Even though DSM 6 has some flaws here and there, its mainly accessible.
I detected that Firefox was/is the better browser to use with DSM 6, especially within tables, such as file listings and so on. I'm using Chrome as my only browser right now, so I had to find ways around the obstacles ahead to work with it. I however have no experience with USB Copy. I once looked into it and found it inaccessible and thus wrote my own solution based on rsync and an EnergyBird power connector which can be switched on and off by USB to control my USB backups on a regular basis.
I found the Package Center rather inaccessible. Installing is possible, as well as updating, but browsing the available packages can be a bit tricky since the website likes to reload every 10 seconds which will set you back at the beginning of the list. Stopping or uninstalling is not always easy using the Package Center, can be realized utilizing object navigation with NVDA anyway, I don't have any experiences with JAWS and DSM 6. I however like more to use the SSH shell to stop or remove my packages via command line.
Best Regards.
Hijacker

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : falcon via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Hijacker via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Kyleman123 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Hijacker via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : pelantas via Audiogames-reflector