getting started with Mac OS or IOS development

Hi all
bare with me, as I'm still getting used to the Mac.
So some of these questions you may head smack.
I wish to begin development for MAC and/or IOS. I have read a couple mentions, and understand that for IOS, at least, publishing onto the App Store requires a none too cheap $100 a year. That's not going to stop me though. To be great, sacrifices must be made. Before all that though, I need to learn what it is I'm actually doing.
I have downloaded Xcode 10, the latest version at least, and got it set up.
I've read through a few of the tutorials on the language syntax and have to say it looks extremely friendly when compared to others I have tackled I mean come on! var str="this is a string"
Simple!
So here's my stumbling blocks so far:
1. GUI's. Every tutorial I've read says to drag and drop things where you want them. Pardon me for a moment while I throw a windows fit about drag and drop being inaccessible. I did have limited success, managing to copy a checkbox into the storyboard, though it never showed up when I ran the program. Whether this was because I put it in the wrong place or didn't link it up or something, I have no idea. So this question: What am I missing here. IS drag and drop the only way? I've coded in wx python, so am not afraid to get my hands dirty coding things from scratch but, everything I've read so far implies that's not a thang.
2. The command line, say I want to run this script:
import cocoa
var str="Nate is learning Mac OS and IOS development."
print(str)

Where does that show? Where actually is the terminal in Xcode? Is that accessible?
I guess my questions here are primarily, is Swift and Xcode the way to go? Am I doing this all wrong? I know app and Mac development is possible, hell I think the legend Works did it himself, so... What am I missing?
Thanks for any help you can offer.