grub on efi

So I managed to get grub installed on a efi partition but when it reboots I can't get passed the efi interactive screen. I was able to do a some what scan with ocr and was able to see a shell> prompt at the bottum. I'm not sure what to do at this point because everything I type isn't a reganized program. I'm doing this from vbox and I have it booting into efi. This is for learning purpises because I may want to install arch on a non bios laptop.
My commands
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --path=/boot --recheck
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Everything is installed but I can't get passed the boot screen in grub.