Re: Colors - A New RPG aiming to be both mainstream and for the blind

Hey there everyone.

So I wanted to give an update

I was working on the next release which had a lot more content, and then my hard drive was destroyed. No backups. This happened in January.

I decided to start working on the game again in Monogame instead of using Game Maker. This allows for a couple of upgrades:
- Support for NVDA/JAWS (still need to test it to make sure it doesn't conflict with input, when I get a release I'll let you guys know)
- Optimized game engine
- More precisely built accessibility system.
Irrelevant to blind players, but also, it is also being ported to Linux but IDK how to hook it up with a screen reader. There is no Mono support for speech yet.

What I think is most important though for everyone here is the accessibility system. I've decided that the best way to get my system out there is to make it Open Source and free to use. That's right, I'm going to make a fork of the game project that offers an accessibility engine that only uses the XNA libraries to work. I believe that after 6 years of fumbling around like an idiot and figuring my way around making a better and better accessibility engine, it's necessary for me to release it both open source and license free.

I want to make an impact across the entire gaming industry and set an example with this project, and having it be open source means that anyone here can also contribute towards the codebase and make their own forks.

My goal since 2013 was to make games more accessible across the board and even though I've had to deal with so much B S in my life to get here I'm proud that I am still working on this project. I really am dedicated to this game despite the number of complete disasters I've dealt with during its production and I feel that this build will be the one that brings it to production; and also be the build that produces a powerful engine that ANYONE, blind or sighted, can add to their projects.

I've just started building out the basic outline of the engine, working on the proximity detector right now. It's basically a replica of the one I built in game maker for the last release, but a LOT less hacky.

Anyways, I'll make a new thread when I release my first version of the source so that everyone can check it out.

For now, the new game won't be available for some time. I'm working full time and utterly exhausted, and I'm trying to figure out ways to dedicate more time onto development of the project. Instead I want to focus on getting the accessibility engine out there and focus on making the game lose its "blind game" stigma - yeah, that's a thing. People thought a game about colours was just for blind people, like as if the whole point of accessible gaming isn't to give an equivalent experience!

Anyways, thanks for putting up with my crap for the last 6 years. I'm not gonna let you guys down with this.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Origine via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : sanslash332 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Valmorian via Audiogames-reflector