Re: New Text-based Roguelike For IOS and Android: Path Of Adventure

Hi Keeweed and all,

Glad to see the new version is out and on the apple now. No more supermages. I’ve been playing around and have a few observations and comments.

The spiderwebs seem to be taking less treasure. I thought I remembered them taking 50%. But now it seems more like a percentage between 25 and 35

I’m not complaining, just seeking clarity.

I have certainly noticed a lot about how fleeing changes the game dynamics.
Fleeing currently increases the difficulty of thief mode considerably. With the other characters it wasn’t as big a difference, but when finishing the theif in the older version, I upped my speed a lot and ran like hell from a few things.
Rules for fleeing should apply to monsters, i.e. they should not be able to dodge your attack, but their defensive score should be subtracted from the damage dealt.

You should also gain the benefit of your defensive score, and that should be increased by 2 if carrying a buckler, i.e. you should suffer damage as though taking a hit, with no chance to dodge. If you wanted to eliminate the fleing. Which is pretty fair, I’ve seen it in a lot of games, but not having the defensive bonus either is a real double whammy.

I do like the option to sacrifice treasure on the path to avoid an encounter. I was thinking maybe you could do something similar for when in dungeons. I understand why it is currently not there, and I don’t think you should be allowed to evade a monster, and still collect the treasure at the end of the dungeon. Perhaps you could have the leave dungeon option. So, if you encounter something you cannot kill, rather than engaging it and having to flee, you could click the leave dungeon button. You could even put in some script that would be truly hilarious:

“As you sit catching your breath, you encounter a fellow traveler. You say ‘There’s supposed to be a knuckle duster in there, but I couldn’t find it. All I found were monsters and traps. You’re welcome to it.”

However, if you do engage the monster and then flee, you could progress through the dungeon. I think this makes a lot of sense, because the first option would be like turning around and running for your life; whereas, engaging the monster and then fleeing would be like running past the monster, giving it the chance to strike and giving up the dungeon treasure would be like sacrificing treasure while on the path. It still makes fleeing a pretty costly endeavor, but it might bring some balance into the game.

Also, if you lose initiative on the first round, i.e. you are attacked, then you should get 2 exp no matter if you kill in the first attack or not. For instance, currently if you win initiative and attack, then are attacked and kill the monster in the second hit you would get 2 exp and only be attacked once.
Whereas, if you lose initiative and are attacked once, you will only get 1 exp for the fight. It just
doesn’t seem fair.

You should be able to cast attack spells in the snake tunnels. Using a couple of lightning spells here would sure be  a good way to deal with those pesky things.

Lastly, the road is long and lonely without the gnome. The theif has the hardest job of all. Some company would sure be nice, and I don’t think it would make theif too easy. Truth to tell, the gnome is of fairly little value. I almost always take what he reveals anyway.