Sound cutting out when splitting items on Reaper

So, I've been working on quite a few different music tracks. Everything worked fine until I installed an update recently. The parts where I split items now seem to have long pauses in them. This is fixable with growing the right edge of the previous item, but it requires fine work and obviously quite some time if you have more items to work with and since I have more than one project which this happens to this would be rather tedious. I'm honestly not sure if that is related to a bug or, more likely, if I accidentally changed some vital settings that cause this misbehavior. I've poked into the item settings and looked at the overlap setting, but that was set to 0:00.060, so that should be fine I suppose. I'm not sure what to try and would therefore really appreciate your help.