what's the best way to learn an additional language

Hi guys. So  I don't really know where to, nor I have anywhere else to ask this, so here it goes. So many people have learned a second language by not living in the country of that language, purely doing it online. There are many examples of these people, and in quite a few cases, their second language, in this case, English, since that's what I speak, and so can judge, is fully accurate. My question to you people is, how do you do it? I mean, English is my second lang as many will know, and I'm trying to pick up a third. And it's not that I struggle as such, it's more that I'm clueless as to how I should go about it. I know I'll need to find a TTS in the language that I want to learn. I know that I have to grab the keyboard to the language I want to learn so I can write it. I also need the TTS for pronunciation reasons. But what then? I'm currently using duolingo, but I literally have to translate what's written there, then solve the solution that way. Which is great, it allows me to understand things, answer them accurately, and remember them the next time I see them. But how do I progress? I can't exactly read, since I won't understand much of, if anything, from the book. I guess I don't really know of the best way to do this. Should I find someone who speaks the language and do it that way? I was thinking of French or Spanish to learn, Spanish is more widely spoken, and there is an entire community I could practise with, once I have the basics... wink But how do I get to that point?
Suggestions appreciated.