Re: Can someone remind me how to fix this error?

Wait, I'm confused. Are you saying that you extract the exe file that you've downloaded, and then play the game that way? That doesn't sound like it should work, not least because there would be no way to register the game then.

Anyway, I can confirm that installing DirectX did not solve my problem. I had installers for version 8 and some other SDK lying around. I'm not sure which version the SDK is exactly, but I think it might be 10. I made sure to reboot after I installed them, even though neither of them asked me to do that. Then, I used CCleaner to clear out dead registry entries, something I rarely do, although I'm not one of the fire and brimstone kind who insist that using a registry cleaner, as long as it's a reputable one, will irreparably damage your system. It's simply not necessary most of the time, but in a fringe case like this, I figured it couldn't hurt to try. I thought that maybe the games had left behind entries even though they had failed to completely install, but even after that, still no go. I'm completely out of ideas at this point. I may have to resign myself to setting up a VM, but considering that the games that won't run are small ones that I hardly ever play anyway, I doubt I'll go to all that trouble.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Slender via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Jonnyboy1991 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Slender via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Jonnyboy1991 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : turtlepower17 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Jonnyboy1991 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : bryant via Audiogames-reflector