Re: JAWS and its license history

It's almost as if this is demonstrable proof that accessibility shouldn't be privatized or something.

Also, that's really shameful that in 2019 they still do not allow the trial period to be used for testing. I guess they really don't want blind people to be able to use computers after all.

From what I've heard, someone at one of those conferences said something along the lines of "NVDA is just two guys in a garage", implying that they could fail any day. The opposite is true. There are probably 4 or 5 people working on JAWS, while NVDA is supported by hundreds of people from around the world.

I personally think that open source is the future, the only thing that really holds it back is compensation - but people work on it because they enjoy the work (I've never done work for pay that I enjoyed but I could code for years on this accessibility stuff).

Also, that attitude will be their death knell. JAWS probably gets most of its support from the government and elderly people who just don't know any better. I personally think that open source, decentralized development and technology will out compete these corporations/companies over time as long as we encourage development across a community. (I say corporations because I think it extends beyond accessibility)

I kind of hope they burn

Also, I get that I can use other APIs but I want to build something that is open source, maybe the other APIs are but I'd rather just have my component be visible code. I just need to feed the screen reader strings so I don't understand why this has to be so hard, lol.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : BoundTo via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Lucas1853 via Audiogames-reflector