Re: embarrassed to hold the white cane

The issche is, in my opinnion, that cameras don't give you that tactile feedback. i don't think technology has progressed to a point where it can differentiate between the sidewalk and a street and quickly warn you about them.
I personally will be gejting a guide dog, as for me, that will improve
my speed of travel. While the cane tells people that we are blind, I think that people would think that you would need help, as if you wore a camera suit, I think there's a specific gait that blind people walk with, and I think sighted people know that gait, and assume that we need help.
Furthermore, outfiting a suit with cameras that are good enough to detect these things could cost thousands of dollars. What happens if one of them breaks? You might have to either replace that one, or worst case scenario, replace the whole suit.
Canes, however, can be replaced for under $40. Canes are much more cost-effective compared to a camera suit.
Regarding your argument about being hands-free, that is true. However, keep in mind that you could get a backpack that could carry some of the things that require two hands to carry (except softener salt, those things are a pain)...