Re: embarrassed to hold the white cane

I have recently been told to take my cane out with me a bit more even if I'm holding onto someone's arm, so that's what I've started doing.
I don't exactly have a story, but I sort of do, so here's a bit of context.
As a blind person, I really like the idea of cosplaying (i.e: people dressing up as characters, sort of, although a bit more than just dressing up), and the reason I like cosplay so much is because it lets me learn more about franchises.
Well, I recently went to an event with my cane and met several cosplayers, and I didn't even get questioned. Some of them already knew who I was, but I'm wondering if the cane might have helped with the new costumers on the scene. In fact I got a message later on from one of them who was helping out as a character from Skyrim, and they loved showing me their costume and letting me experience the world of Skyrim, even if it was for a few minutes. The Dragonborn had a sword which was really awesome, quite weighty, and the otehr one, a female Khajiit (basically cat creature) even spoke with a character accent towards the end of this particular encounter. I've had many messages from people as well saying that they just loved showing me their costumes.
People letting me touch the costumes has happened before, but I think people got it even quicker this time because I had my cane. Instead of taking around 20 seconds, it took around 10 before they started showing me stuff. They explained who their characters were, what their storylines are and from what anime, and even described colours and what they were wearing as well as letting me touch the stuff.
I also have an even funnier story: I was eating lunch and a guy I knew, who dresses as Spider-man, came up to me and said hi. I suddenly realized who he was, whispered his real name and he said yes it was him. He ended up sitting down next to me for a little bit, and I realized I had a chip (basically the equivalent of a fry, although a bit fatter) left. So, I held a chip, and I gave spidy a chip, and yep, my helper for the day took a photo of it. I found it utterly awesome, and hilarious, at the same time. It's a shame I didn't get an audio recording of this particular moment, because it was just hilarious, but whenever I sit down to eat, I stop any audio recordings in progress.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : the_ruler_of_dark_forces via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : SirBadger via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : SirBadger via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : drums61999 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : mata via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : mata via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : BlindJedi via Audiogames-reflector