laws around creating an text adventure engine

Hi there
I have planned to, at some point, create a text-based game engine, rather like that which you used to see with inform, only much simpler.
This would be a compact product, in that the main menu would be something like:
play a game from your collection,
edit a game in your collection,
check for updates,
start a new project,
submit  your project.

Does anyone know what, if any, the laws around inform/z5/z8 games are?
If I'm going to do this, I'll try to make it unique, but, I'd rather know what laws I have to be aware of in regard to the already existing products.
Thanks
Nate