Re: embarrassed to hold the white cane

I lost the rest of my vision at age 11 and had to transition to a cane. Even up through college, I hated using it. Even if walking sighted guide as a teenager, I wouldn't bring my white cane with me. My grandma would tell me, "You need to bring it so people know you're blind and can know that." I didn't see the point in advertising my blindness to the world if I was walking sighted guide with her. Now I'm 28, and a much more confident person with less of a "give a damn" about society. If I have a hand free with sighted guide, I have my cane in it. I want to know I have that tool with me if I need it. It also gives me more information about the world around me as we're walking. I still get very nervous in crowds though. I tend to pull my cane back to try to avoid tripping people around me. I haven't developed that bullish charge ahead mentality yet. My mobility instructors tell me I'm so gentle with my cane because I don't make a lot of noise with it or bash it around. I don't want to be bashing and crashing around, so I tend to use my ears a lot for spacial orientation. Also, I have a purple cane with a rolling tip, and people dig the purple color.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : BlindJedi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : BlindJedi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : mata via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : je97 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : je97 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Cinnamon via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : swigjr23 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : redfox via Audiogames-reflector