Re: i've had it with NVDA, i think.

I've seen NvDA and Jaws do weird stuff but not like that. I have, however, had my own experiences with crippling NvDA issues. Back in 2017-2018 I had issues with NVDa and UIA really not geting along. I know I wans't the only one either, but the weird thing was they would come and go, and some people didn't have them at all. They've seemed to clear up in later versions of Windows and NvDA. Now I only get the very occasional flare-up. So I know that some progress is being made to fix issues.

When I had my issues at their worst, I was told that the reason it wasn't fixed was because it was so hard to reproduce and pin down. I can't remember exactly where and how much I posted about the issues, though I do remember exporting several console logs with debug mode on and wondering who to send them to. I can't remember if anything ever came of that, but that's all you can really do when you have an issue like that. I will gently suggest that you try to fix the NVDA issue, perhaps by making a fresh portable copy, or if possible reinstalling Windows cleanly, before faulting the screen reader.

I also firmly believe that a screen reader developed largely by a community deserves community effort to improve it. That doesn't mean everyone has to actively do something all the time, but when you do have a problem, try to reach out to the community who brought this to you. Do whatever you can to give the devs what they need to trace it down. Submit logs if you can.

In any case, I also had problems with Jaws back in the day. Some things would screw up video intercept and make it so that I couldn't hear where I was in edit fields or list boxes. I'd have to restart the machine to fix it. The worst was that my favorite games always seemed to be the ones that messed with video intercept, and that is partially why I never really played those games. Admittedly this was back in 2008 or so on XP, when NVDA was still a child, so a lot has probably changed since then.

When my Jaws license expired and I found out the state program I was in wasn't going to pay for more upgrades, that's when I decided to give NVDA a chance, since at that point I didn't know much about it. And from my own personal experience, and only my own, NVDA is better and I have no real reason to use Jaws again.

However, that is not to say I would never go back to Jaws. There are still things I kept Jaws around for, before using NVDA full time. I wouldn't call myself a fanboy of NVDA. I am a fan because it's a free screen reader that works really well for me. But that doesn't mean I like everything about it, or that I would never use something else.

So let me make something really clear right now. Ironcross, I feel that your raging and derogatory insults are outright disrespectful to everyone who, like me, have had to struggle with a screen reader choice and ended up settling on something that you have problems with. Do you honestly feel that everyone who contradicts you is deliberately discrediting you and those who agree with you? Do you think that developers should just magically be able to fix problems, and they just choose not to? If you do believe that, it is just sad to me. Things don't work that way. It would be totally awesome if they did, but they don't.

Granted, it's insulting and annoying when people don't seem to take you seriously, especially when they seem to deny your struggles altogether. I get that you're frustrated but you're not helpig the frustration by acting the way you are. Heaven knows we have enough of this attitude here already.

Of course you don't have to read a word I say, but I truly mean this when I say I genuinely hope you can find a way to have more peace and less tension and disagreement in your life. For the record, I believe you when you say you've tested NVDA without add-ons and continue to have major issues with it. I actually believe that is happening to you. But I don't have the issues you do, and I have as much a right as you do to let the community know about my NVDA experience, and I can do so without discrediting or insulting anyone else.