VMware Fusion questions

Hello, so i have been trying to figure out how to get a copy on windows on a mac that my lady owns.  She says she wants to play audio games, but does not want windows actually installed.  I was pointed to an article about this very topic, and i got to say it was very informative.  Thanks to the one who wrote said article.  My questions are as follow:
How much space does the virtual machine actually take up when running?  How would updates work and would it even be possible to do?  I myself have windows installed on a partition on my mac mini, but would like my space back.  I like the idea of having both systems running at the same time as i do most of what I need to do on the mac side.  Windows is mostly for audio games and quick research.