Re: changing pc, jaws question

As far as I know, Windows 10 support requires JAWS 16 or later. I'm going to have to agree with most other people here. NVDA is the way to go unless you can either have someone pay for JAWS or you are willing to pirate it. Freedom Scientific or VFO or whatever they call themselves today is well, let's just say their business practices and customer relations are monopolistic and hostile, respectively. If you wanted to update JAWS from 12, it would be absurdly expensive, to the point where I'd suggest purchasing the screen reader again at a cheaper price.

Honestly, NVDA does 99% of what JAWS can and will suit most users. It's also not run by a greedy monopolistic corporation, but rather by hundreds or thousands of people from around the world. The only reason(s) I can think of to justify the continued existence or usage of JAWS are the following:
1. You're simply used to it and/or don't mind Freedom Scientific's horrid business practices.
2. You need scripts for a specific application. NVDA can be scripted via add-ons to work with the same application, so I don't know about this one. I've said this for a while now, but scripting is a band-aid solution that doesn't fix the problem. If we really want to fix it, get the developer to write the application in a way that makes it comply with existing guidelines.
3. You require better Braille support. This is another area where NVDA needs a little more work.

Aside from that,, there's nothing I can think of to justify the product. No, I don't want to hear the open source software is a security risk nonsense. I had a conversation with one of the guys from NV Access and was essentially told that the software including add-ons is safe if downloaded from the "official" website. The same goes for JAWS and other software. The fact you are thinking about pirating it means that you're not getting it from the official source and it *might* be full of malware or who knows what else.

I don't really care about JAWS or VFO anymore. They had their glory days I suppose, but I refuse to support the little monopoly they've made for themselves over the past few years. We have other options like NVDA and Narrator that are free and can offer the same level of access to computers. IN fact, NVDA is really critical in other countries because it's a solution that doesn't cost an arm, a leg, and your first child.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : matteo via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : mazen via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : giorgi elbaqidze via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : matteo via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : omer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Munawar via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : mazen via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : matteo via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Munawar via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Ty via Audiogames-reflector