Re: Need help with running linux program in background

There's probably much nicer and more elegant way for doing this, but when I want to run a command in the background which produces some output, I usually do this:
nohup my_command &
When I want to view the last lines of the output I type tail nohup.out. That works after logging out and in.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but jobs command should show you only the processes that are active in the shell they were started in. So it may not work after logging off and then back in.
I have used mainly pgrep <process name>.