bgt, assigning players in online games

SO there are 2 things that I am talking about. The first is assigning players as they join the server. I don't know how to do that. The second is telling who's turn it is. I have the second part down, here is what I did.

int play=0;
players[play].turn=true;
this means it is player 0's turn. Player 0 takes their turn.
players[play].turn=false;
play+=1;
players[play].turn=true;
now it is player 1's turn. And the cycle continues. TO wrap back to player 0, if(play>maxplay)
play=0;

Is this a good turn system? It works, but is there a better way? And how do I assign players when they first get connected?